Rooted in Cumbria

The Federation of Cumbria Commoners is a member-led organisation dedicated to promoting commoning in Cumbria. Our overall aim is to maintain and improve the viability of hill farming on common land.

We want this website to:

  • Inform you about new issues in commoning
  • Let you know what we are doing
  • Make our voice heard all over the world and much more

Concerns in Dartmoor over HL15 - Seasonal Livestock Exclusion supplement

We have been sent the following from commoner in Dartmoor you can also find this story at NFU online

Depending on the outcome this may affect some commoners in Cumbria.

Four top mistakes to avoid on comon land claims

Out of approximately 3,500 commons claim forms that the RPA posted out, they have so far received more than 1,000 back. A small proportion of these have unfortunately failed the first validation check.

According to Anna Logan of the NFU, she says in her blog that the four main reasons for failure so far have been:

BPS claims on common land are unlikley to get paid till February 2016

Mark Grimshaw, CEO of the Rural Payments Agency announced at the NFU Council Meeting on 13th October  that common land BPS claimants are complex cases so unlikely to receive payments until February 2016 at the earliest.

Agri-Environment Payments should sart this week

Partial agri-environmental payments should start to reach commoners this week (week commencing 19th October).  These will reach 25,521 or 53% of agreement holders. That’s some £70 million in payments.  The other 47 % of agreement holders who do not receive their payment next week  require some additional work to be undertaken but Natural England do expect to keep their commitment to make all payments by the end of December.

Uplands debate - Penrith

Should upland farming be encouraged to survive the challenges presented by conservation, ecology and the control of the state? Or is it destined to become a footnote to our island history?

The Royal Geographical Society is organising this debate with two of our commitee members as expert witnessess.

We urge commoners to claim extra payments and entitlements for common land

As we mentioned in a previous article  Defra is changing the way that payments on common land are calculated. There is now a new way of working out how much of the eligible area of a common or shared grazing a farmer can claim. This means that some farmers should have received larger allocations of common land than they actually did. These farmers may now be able to receive the entitlements they should have been given in 2005, as well as extra payments for:

Syndicate content